Sunday, January 13, 2013

Odds and Ends - A New Cap and Furniture Refurbishment

I know I haven't posted much of late, but that doesn't mean I have not been busy. In the middle of last year I purchased a late Victorian folding chair. The wood was sturdy, but the fabric was a little worn. After a month of use the fabric finally gave way. We took it to an upholsterers and were astonished at the price. After some discussion we decided to repair it ourselves. The chair had some orange-brown paint on it that was scratched up. Therefore, we decided to strip it before recovering it. Thankfully we were able to get a very similar design of fabric (only the design was about an inch/3 cms smaller than the original). I was so happy with the results of my work that I also decided to recover my foot stool in the same fabric.

Our folding stool also had its fabric give way while camping in Taminick last october, so I used another fabric to recover that chair. The only difference between my work and the originals is that I sewed all the trims down, instead of using fabric glue. I believe that this gave me a far better result.

The completed chair and footstool.

Repaired camp stool.

Now on a more fun note, I have also been undertaking multiple projects to keep my motivation up. One project, that I have just completed was my first 1850/60s cap. I used the lace from an oval doily and some spare silk and ribbons to create this cap. It was fun and interesting for my first try.

 The side of my new cap.

The back of my new cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment